Periodontics Redondo Beach
Great oral hygiene, regular professional cleanings, and oral examinations can help maintain natural, healthy teeth. This means caring for the teeth and the structures that surround them. Gum disease can threatening these supporting structures, causing severe tissue loss that requires invasive and costly procedures to resolve. Periodontal disease is treated in Redondo Beach at the office of Dr. Greg Shvartsman.
Periodontal therapy occurs in various forms, but the goal is to restore diseased tissues to health. There are numerous therapies available to correct severe cases, which include scalings for plaque and calculus (tartar removal), and surgical repair of lost gum and bone tissue.
Periodontal therapy procedures include:
- Scaling and Root Planing – Removes plaque and tartar from the gums using hand scalers or ultrasonic instruments.
- Gum grafting – Replaces areas of lost gum to adequately protect tooth roots.
- Periodontal plastic surgery – Creates a more cosmetically flexible and appealing appearance for gum tissues.
- Periodontal laser treatment – Removes diseased gum tissue and provides less discomfort and gum shrinkage.
- Crown lengthening surgery – The tooth structure covered by gum and bone tissue is exposed to allow a new dental crown to be placed or for an improved cosmetic appearance.
- Dental implants – Dental implants are placed below the gum line and into the jawbone during a minor procedure. The implant is attached to a realistic crown that will be indistinguishable from a natural tooth.
Dental plaque is the primary cause of periodontal disease, which is why it is important to remove it every day with effective brushing and flossing techniques. Proper techniques for cleaning teeth at home are available at the office of Dr. Greg Shvartsman and his team.